Sunday 6 April 2014

Jack Couvela Brief: Assassin's Creed: Prop and Building Design

I quickly moved through the prop element of the brief.  I wanted create a Victorian based gun.  So, as usual, I did my research first...

Gun's aren't a new thing to Assassin's Creed and having a weapon with a limited fire power/clip capacity helps keep the player of the keep vary their tactics (rather than just shooting everyone...).  There's quite a lot of varying styles to choose from and I also wanted something decorative for my design.  So sketches...

My first few designs were way off the mark.  They were quite steampunky and didn't really belong in the Assassin's universe.  They seemed to fit better in something like Bioshock.  Assassin's Creed is always built on the foundation of a believable and 'real' world.  Everything needs to reflect this, including the weapons.  So I refined my design to look more...normal.

After choosing my design, I moved forward into painting the final thing...



I applied a very similar logic to my building design.  I began with the research stage...

 This lead me to designing a variety of sketches.  At this stage, I was trying to look for an interesting shape, whilst maintaining the idea that the player can climb and free-run.

Choosing my design (design 'M'), I blocked out a fairly basic model using Google SketchUp.


 After selecting a rendered view I liked, I painted the final piece using PhotoShop.

No comments:

Post a Comment